- Sieve the plain flour into a large mixing bowl, add in the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Slowly mix in the egg and the water and stir until the pastry comes together into a ball
- Allow the pastry to rest and then allow to rest in the fridge.
- After about 30 minutes roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use a 6.5 cm diameter pastry cutter to cut out the pastry discs.
- Place the discs in the muffin tin and prepare for their filling.
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large pan and add the onions, garlic and cook for approximately 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the rashers and cook for a further 3 – 4 minutes. Allow to cool before adding the cheddar cheese.
- Place the broccoli in a pan of boiling water and cook for a few minutes until tender, remove from the pan and place in a bowl.
- Roll out the dough and cut out discs using a 6.5 cm pastry cutter.
- Place the discs in the base of the muffin tin.
Depending on your favourite filling, fill up the disc bases. Option 1 - Fill with the onion, rashers and cheddar mixture. Option 2 - For the second lot place some chopped spring onions in the bottom of the bases and cover with blue cheese. Option 3 - Finally add some smoked salmon to the bottom of the remaining bases, add some broccoli and fill with the remaining cheddar. Place the muffin tray onto a flat baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 12 - 20 minutes or until the egg is set and the pastry has turned golden brown