Serves: 4 people
3 tbsp Coconut Oil
200 g Desiccated Coconut
4 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 pinch Salt
75 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
200 g Vegan Dark Chocolate
- Place the maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a pan set on a medium heat and stir occasionally, until the oil has melted.
- Place the desiccated coconut, ground almonds and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Once the coconut oil mixture has all melted together, add it to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place a sheet of non-stick baking paper on a baking tray, ensuring the tray is small enough to fit in your freezer. Spread the coconut mixture onto the lined tray and form it into a square roughly 10cm x 10cm and 2.5cm high. Place the baking tray in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a heatproof glass bowl set on top of a pot of boiling water, making a bain marie. Just make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir occasionally until it melts to a nice consistency. Alternatively, you could melt the chocolate in the microwave. After 20 minutes the coconut mixture should now be firm enough to cut into solid bars.
- Place the square on a cutting board and cut into 12 squares with a large knife. Use a ladle to pour the melted chocolate over each bar, turn them over to coat the entire bar. Place the chocolate-covered bars back on the lined baking tray. Pop them in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to cool and harden.