This soup has a most attractive colour and is the perfect option for a lunchtime or evening snack, and freezes quite well also so you can keep it for your cool winter days.
Serves: 4 people
2 - Carrots
2 stick Celery
1200 ml Chicken Stock Cube
or vegetable stock
50 g SuperValu Butter
900 g SuperValu Butternut Squash
0 tsp SuperValu Chilli Flakes
75 ml SuperValu Cream
3 cloves SuperValu Garlic
1 - SuperValu Leek
0 medium SuperValu Onion
1 large SuperValu Potatoes
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- Begin by peeling and chopping all of the vegetables into large chunks.
- Select a large saucepan and slowly melt the butter.
- Add all of the vegetables and garlic and mix thoroughly and continue to pan roast them for 6–8 minutes without them sticking to the saucepan.
- Season lightly at this stage and add the crushed chilli flakes and allow this to roast off for a few minutes to infuse vegetables with the spice.
- Next you need to add the cream and two thirds of the stock. It is best to add only this amount of stock, as it allows you to adjust or correct the consistency more accurately before serving.
- Bring this entire mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to a constant simmer.
- Simmer for the next 15–20 minutes or until all of the vegetables have softened.
- Blitz the soup until smooth, adjusting the consistency with the remaining stock as required.
- Taste the soup and season accordingly. For those that are more daring, they may wish to add extra chilli flakes at this time.
- Serve the soup in warmed bowls.
- Garnish the soup with a little crème fraiche.