A healthy version of a takeaway favourite with an extra crunchy spiced seed mix.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
400 g Chicken Fillets
cut into 1cm strips
2 - Eggs
2 cloves Garlic
1 - Green Pepper
1 - Red Chilli
deseeded and thinly sliced
1 - Red Pepper
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
4 - Spring Onions
thinly sliced on the diagonal
500 g SuperValu Baby Potatoes
4 tsp SuperValu Cornflour
50 g SuperValu Goodness Mixed Seeds
1 - SuperValu Sunflower Oil
For the spice bag salt mix
1 tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
2 tsp Ground Coriander
4 tbsp Sea Salt
2 tsp SuperValu Chilli Flakes
2 tsp White Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Put all the spice bag salt mix ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the egg whites, cornflour and ½ teaspoon of the spice bag salt mix in a wide, shallow bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken strips and stir to coat. Put the chicken in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the baby potatoes in 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil and 1 teaspoon of the spice bag salt mix. Spread out on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- To make the spicy mayo, put the egg yolks, garlic, lime juice, mustard and 1 teaspoon of the spice bag salt mix in the bottom of a glass measuring jug. Pour in the sunflower oil and allow it to settle for 30 seconds. Put a hand-held blender in the bottom of the jug and turn it on to high. Don’t pulse or move the blender, just keep it at the base of the jug. As the mayonnaise forms, slowly tilt and lift the head of the blender until all the oil is emulsified. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat and immediately add the chicken pieces, stirring vigorously to keep them from sticking. When the chicken pieces turn white, after about 4 minutes, quickly drain the chicken and all the water in a stainless steel colander or sieve. Keep the chicken warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the sunflower oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the spring onions, peppers, garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, seed mix, soy sauce or tahini and ½ teaspoon of the spice bag salt mix. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the spicy mayo on the side.