Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 - Eggs
4 sprigs Fresh Parsley Leaves
4 cloves Garlic
crushed with rock salt and black pepper
250 g Plain Flour
1 tsp Rapeseed Oil
900 g Rib of Beef
a two rib joint is best
150 g Sea Salt
4 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Rosemary
4 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
80 ml Water
plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Prepare the salt crust by placing the our, coarse sea salt, egg whites and thyme in a bowl. Stir to combine, then slowly add the water to create a dough that’s soft enough to be rolled but not too sticky or too crumbly.
- Depending on the choice of joints, either two bones together or two bones separated, roll the dough about 1cm thick into one or two large circles that will be large enough to enclose the beef. Transfer to the lined baking tray and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set and rest.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat. Rub each rib of beef with the oil and place on the pan. Add the garlic and fry the beef on all sides, seasoning well. Remove from the heat and leave for 5 minutes to settle and cool.
- When cooled, remove the salt dough from the fridge. Place two sprigs each of rosemary and thyme on the middle of each circle of dough. Place a rib of beef on each disc of dough.
- Brush the salt crust with water and fold the dough over the ribs, pressing to seal.
- Brush the dough with water. Bake for 30 minutes for medium and 40 minutes or more for well done. Serve with the red wine hollandaise sauce and garnish with parsley.