Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
0 - Black Pepper
2 - Carrots
750 ml Chicken Stock Cube
4 tbsp Plain Flour
150 ml Red Wine
1 - SuperValu Free Range Whole Chicken
225 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Sage
parsley/thyme/rosemary etc. (chopped)
100 g SuperValu Irish Creamery Butter
1 - SuperValu Lemon
zest, and cut in half
0.5 - SuperValu Onion
500 g SuperValu Potatoes
0 - SuperValu Salt
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan and add in the diced onion and cook over a very low heat for 5-6 minutes until all of these ingredients are softened completely.
- Mix in the lemon zest, the freshly chopped herbs and also the soft white breadcrumbs. Season this mixture lightly. Allow to cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the cold stuffing, then add half a lemon to keep the stuffing in place.
- Place the carrots, onions then the chicken onto a roasting tray. Loosen the skin of the chicken and taking a little additional butter gently massage the butter into the breasts under the skin of the chicken.
- Sprinkle a little bit of salt and cracked black pepper over the skin.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes. At this stage reduce the temperature of the oven (170C/325F/Gas Mark 3) and cook for a further hour or until the juices run clear from the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the tray and any excess fat, if any. Place the tray back on the stove and caramelise the leftover on the tray over medium heat.
- Add a sprinkle of flour and cook until coloured.
- Pour the wine and chicken stock into a saucepan and add the bay leaves, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute until silky.
- Pass through a sieve and keep the gravy aside until needed.
- Serve the chicken with the gravy and mash potatoes