Pumpkin brownies may sound a little strange but trust us these are delicious and just like carrots make a carrot cake moist and delicious, the pumpkin here does the same thing, giving you a delicious chocolate brownie and a lovely way to use seasonal Super Valu veg and a hero veg; pumpkin! This also happens to be gluten free and vegan so this is super inclusive.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 5 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tbsp Baking Powder
125 g Coconut Sugar
or brown demerara sugar
300 g Dark Chocolate
1.5 tbsp Ground Flaxseeds
50 g Rice Flour
50 ml Rice Milk
1 pinch Salt
240 g SuperValu Pumpkin
125 ml SuperValu Sunflower Oil
4.5 tbsp Water
1. On a chopping board carefully cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp, chop half each into quarters and roast in the oven on a baking tray for 30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and cooked through, leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before handling, then scoop out all the cooked pumpkin from the skin into a bowl and set aside.
2. Mix the ground flax and water, set aside for a few minutes to make your flax egg.
3. Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a medium pot of simmering water, ensuring the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
4. Weigh the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt and sieve into a medium mixing bowl.
5. Blend the roasted pumpkin with the oil and mix very well, using a hand blender or in a food processor, add the melted chocolate, blend again until well combined and add to the dry ingredients, folding until all ingredients are combined into one batter.
6. Add the brownie batter to a lined pan, we used a 30 x 20cm pan lined with baking parchment and smooth the top.
7. Bake for required baking time 35-40 mins at 180C.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. By leaving it to fully cool this is when the brownie will firm up and develop its finished texture. This can often be one of the hardest parts of making a brownie but so essential is you want your brownie to firm up but so worth it! enjoy!