The perfect simple summer salad
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 - Anchovies
Very finely chopped
2 tbsp Capers
200 g Ciabatta Bread Rolls
Or, Stale or crusty white bloomer
1 - Red Onion
1 - SuperValu Cucumber
Thinly sliced, use a veg peeler
4 tbsp SuperValu Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 handfull SuperValu Fresh Basil
1 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Chives
0 - SuperValu Salt
8 - SuperValu Tomato
2 tbsp SuperValu White Wine Vinegar
- Slice the onions and place in a bowl of cold water with some salt. Leave for about an hour. This will take some of the rawness out of the onions, then drain and pat dry.
- Place the cut tomatoes evenly in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Put the bowl over another bowl to catch the liquid from the tomatoes which you use later for the dressing.
- Tear the bread into chunks about as big as your thumb. Set out on a large baking tray, leaving space between them to ensure they dry out while you are prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Take an old screw topped jar and put in the olive oil, vinegar, anchovies and the reserved tomato juice, if using both. Pop on the lid and shake vigorously.
- In a large serving bowl combine all the ingredients except the bread. Just before serving add the bread chunks which should have dried out by now. This is ideal with barbequed meats.