‘Nice cream’ is the name given to the new wave of instant ice creams made simply by blending frozen fruits. It’s important to use frozen strawberries when making the nice cream, so be sure to pop fresh ones in the freezer at least a day in advance of making this. Both the nice cream and cookies are gluten and refined sugar free, using only a little honey or maple syrup for sweetness.
Serves: 6 people
50 g Dried Apricots
0.5 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tbsp Honey
or maple syrup
1 tbsp Honey
or maple syrup
75 g Low Fat Natural Yogurt
200 g Rolled Oats
gluten-free if necessary
50 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
50 ml SuperValu Sunflower Oil
or light-coloured olive oil, or melted coconut oil
2 large Banana
400 g SuperValu Strawberries
hulled and frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- To make the cookies, peel the banana and mash in a large bowl. Add the apricots, oil, honey and ginger, blending them well. Add the oats and almonds and stir until well mixed. The mixture should stick together when squeezed.
- Shape into 12 balls and flatten into cookies with a 7cm diameter, arranging them on the baking sheet as you go.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until just firm and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the nice cream, place the frozen strawberries, yogurt and honey in a food processor or blender and blitz until really smooth. Blend for as little time as possible or it may become too soft. It should have an ice cream or frozen yogurt consistency and can be served straight away like this. However, for a firmer finish or if you’re not ready to serve, transfer to a plastic container, cover and freeze.
- To serve, sandwich a scoop of nice cream between two cookies and enjoy straight away.
TIP - Use raspberries instead of strawberries if preferred.