Use up them leftovers from your roast chicken and roasted vegetables to perfection!
Serves: 4 people
- When dinner is over pick off all the leftover chicken and put aside.
- Everything else, gravy, skin of the chicken and not forgetting veg that’s left over put into stock pot and just cover with water bring to the boil and let simmer down until nice flavour develops.
- Strain into jug or bowl, throw all away except any of veg still remaining, keep separate.
- Cool stock, put in fridge for next day.
- Then next day skim off any fat on top of stock, add leftover veg. blitz all to make a delicious soup.
- If you feel flavour is a tad weak just add a jelly stock pot to enhance. (This can be kept for day 3 dinner) Then roll out sheet of readymade puff pastry, cut in four, bake in oven until risen and golden.. 10 / 15 mins.
- Sauté off 150 gram Button Mushrooms, chop and add all the leftover chicken from last night, also a handful of frozen peas for colour.. make a simple white sauce, add a dash of white wine if kicking about or a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, mix all together until warmed through, cup top off puff pastry squares and spoon into pastry squares.
- You can call this posh Vol-au-Vonts. Have on its own or with a tossed green salad.
- Put all above in a pie dish, season with black pepper, cover with the white sauce and top with a sheet of Just Roll short crust pastry, brush with a little milk and cook until pastry is golden brown.
- I keep 2 and 4 portion foil trays in my store cupboard, pies can be frozen and taken out to have a meal ready when you get home.