This is the ideal after school dinner as it can be very easily prepared in advance and in fact tastes better if it is. Also perfect to make ahead of time & freeze.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 small Carrots
1 stick Celery
1 glass Red Wine
(Optional)/50ml Beef Stock
1 tsp SuperValu Dried Thyme
1 cloves SuperValu Garlic
300 g SuperValu Irish Beef Mince
2 - SuperValu Onion
0 - SuperValu Salt
2 tsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Peel the potatoes and place into a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a tightly fitting lid and continue to cook until the potatoes are softened.
- Strain the potatoes into a large colander and return to the saucepan with the butter and the milk.
- Mash the potatoes until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a pan.
- Add the minced beef and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until browned, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and strain the mince in a colander over a bowl.
- Set aside for a few minutes.
- Add a tbsp of oil to the pan and add the vegetables, garlic and thyme, sauté for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften but not colour.
- Add the minced beef back into the pan and stir in the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and red wine (if using) or beef stock & cook gently for another 15-20 minutes until completely tender.
- Divide between 4 individual oven proof bowls and pipe or spoon the potatoes on top. Pop the individual pies into the oven and cook for a further 10-12 minutes until bubbling hot and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.