My absolute favourite at any time. Perfect - every time!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 12 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tsp Baking Powder
110 g Caster Sugar
1 - Fresh Egg
110 ml Milk
450 g Plain Flour
75 g SuperValu Butter
1 tbsp SuperValu Icing Sugar
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
1 tbsp SuperValu Sugar
for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Add the salt and caster sugar to the milk.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and stir to dissolve and add to the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk at this stage also and mix together to a soft dough.
- If the mixture is too wet and loose, add in a little extra flour.
- Transfer the mixture to a floured surface and flatten it out to about ¾ inch in depth.
- Using a scone cutter or a glass cut out 12 circles and transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Make up a little egg wash by mixing 1 egg with some milk and brush this over the top of each of the scones.
- Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Using a heavy based saucepan pour in the caster sugar and lemon juice.
- Allow to dissolve over a moderate heat.
- Add the raspberries and lemon zest to the syrup and allow to cook further for 1 minute.
- Next add the Grand Marnier at this stage if using - this is a good way to turn simple compote into a great dessert.
- Serve the scones with the raspberry compote and freshly whipped cream.
If you wish to make fruit scones you need to soak 75g sultanas in a little orange juice or whiskey for 30 minutes and add these to the mixture just before you add the egg and milk.