This traditional American cake is made of cookies stacked with layers of creamy mascarpone.
Serves: 16 people
Dr. Oetker Giant Chocolate Stars
Salted Caramel Sauce
Bonne Maman or La Sauce de Monin
SuperValu Vanilla Pod
First prepare the mascarpone filling. You can do it by hand, but a food mixer or electric whisk will make things easier. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthwise, then scrape the seeds out into a large bowl. Add the mascarpone and beat briefly to soften a little. Pour in the cream and whisk until soft peaks form.
Now for the assembly. Spoon 50g of the salted caramel sauce into a small bowl and reserve for serving later. Spread 2 tablespoons of the remainder in a 23cm circle on a 25cm cake stand or serving plate to stick the biscuits to.
Spread each of the cookies with a little salted caramel, then layer them up in this order with these amounts of mascarpone cream spread on top in an even layer, almost to the edge of the cookies:
· 11 cookies in a circle, 5 in the centre, topped with 150g of mascarpone cream.
· 10 cookies in a circle, 3 in the centre, topped with 150g of mascarpone cream.
· 9 cookies in a circle, 2 in the centre, topped with 125g of mascarpone cream.
· 7 cookies in a circle, 1 in the centre, topped with 100g of mascarpone cream.
· 5 cookies in a circle, 1 in the centre, topped with 75g of mascarpone cream.
· 4 cookies in a circle, none in the centre, topped with 75g of mascarpone cream.
· 3 cookies in a circle, none in the centre, topped with 50g of mascarpone cream.
· 1 cookie on the very top, topped with the final 25g of mascarpone cream.
Once assembled, chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight. This can be prepared to this stage up to 24 hours in advance.
When ready to serve, drizzle the reserved salted caramel down the sides, then scatter the pomegranate seeds evenly all over. Arrange the giant chocolate stars all around to decorate, finishing with one on top, then go and wow your guests! This will keep for up to one more day in the fridge.
Decorate the cake however you like, either using the above suggestions or you could scatter chopped nuts and/or edible sprinkles over too. Strings of redcurrants would look well, as would spritzes of gold lustre dust.