Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
50 g Caster Sugar
4 - Gelatine Sheets
200 g Plain Sponge
100 ml Sherry
300 g SuperValu Raspberries
strawberries or blackberries can also be added
200 g Tinned Black Cherries
150 ml Water
For the Custard
75 g Caster Sugar
6 - Fresh Egg
450 ml Milk
1 tbsp SuperValu Cornflour
150 ml SuperValu Cream
0.5 - SuperValu Vanilla Pod
- Cut the trifle sponges into 3cm square pieces and layer them on the base of a trifle serving bowl.
- Place the gelatine leaves in some cold water to soften for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the berries and cherries in a saucepan and add the sugar, water and sherry. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the gelatine, stirring gently to combine. Once the gelatine has dissolved, pour the fruit mixture over the sponge layer in the trifle dish. Let the fruit set for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the custard, place the milk and cream in a large saucepan. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape the seeds and the pod into the pan, then bring to the boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until light and creamy. Quickly pour the boiling milk mixture onto the eggs and combine well.
- Return the custard mixture to the saucepan and cook for about 2 minutes on a gentle heat, stirring continuously, until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil at this time. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour the custard over the fruit and sponge mixture and allow to cool for a couple of hours or overnight. Cover with a disc of parchment paper or cling film to prevent a skin from forming on the custard.
- Pipe some whipped cream on the top and sprinkle, if desired, with some flaked almonds and fresh strawberries. Grate a little chocolate over the cream and almonds and serve.