Served with homemade croutons, this soup recipe takes full advantage of the in season asparagus.
Serves: 6 people
Chicken Stock Cube
or Vegetable Stock
- Prepare all the asparagus by trimming off their tough outer stalks. These can be utilised when making your stock.
- In a large saucepan, begin by melting the butter. When doing so, it’s advisable to put a little oil in with the butter. Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté gently for 6-8 minutes, or until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Next, add in the asparagus and continue to mix with the onion for a further 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Next, mix in the plain flour and stir until all the vegetables are completely coated with the flour mixture. Pour in the boiling hot stock at this stage and stir for a number of minutes, making sure that none of the flour has stuck around the sides of the pot.
- Bring this mixture to the boil, before reducing the heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream, wild garlic and seasoning at this stage.
- To make the croutons, first cut the bread into 1cm cubes. Pour one teaspoon of oil onto a baking tray and scatter the bread over it, before drizzling the bread with the remaining oil.
- Place into a preheated oven at 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4 for 5-6 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Using either a hand blender or food processor, purée the soup in small batches. Return to the heat, correct the seasoning to taste and serve with homemade croutons.