Three basic ingredients simmered together transforms into a golden syrup that is truly versatile. You can stir it into or drizzle over ice cream, glaze pork ribs or chicken with it and even make a thirst quencher with it. This also makes a stunning gift from your kitchen.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
- Cut ClemenGold rind with a sharp knife into thinner strips and set aside.
- Place juice, sugar and tea in a wide based pan over a medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add ClemenGold rind and simmer for another 7-10 minutes or until syrupy. Take care not to reduce the syrup too far as it will become very sticky.
- To test if it is ready, spoon a drop onto a cold saucer. Allow to cool and pull your finger through the drop. If it stays separated and starts to feel sticky, it is ready. If it runs back, then simmer for another minute or two and test again.
- Allow syrup to cool and use in any of the suggested ways.
1. Use a vegetable peeler to cut the thick strips of ClemenGold rind. This will also ensure you don’t get any white pith on it.
2. When ClemenGolds are in season, make a big batch of this syrup and pour into sterilised jars or bottles. Tie with ribbons and gift tags and use as gifts.
3. The syrup is delicious over cheese, like camembert or brie.
4. Drizzle syrup over sweet potatoes or butternut and roast in the oven until cooked. Add a glug of olive oil or white wine for some extra liquid.
5. Serve the syrup on ice cream or as part of a dessert with fresh ClemenGolds, chopped nuts and a dairy of your choice, such as Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche.