These divine little numbers aren’t going to last long, especially when served freshly baked and warm from the oven. They are gluten free (be sure to use a gluten-free baking powder), which will keep coeliacs more than happy.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
0.5 tsp Baking Powder
4 tsp Caramel Sauce
75 g Caster Sugar
25 g Cocoa Powder
1 large Eggs
1 pinch Sea Salt
50 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
150 g SuperValu Milk Chocolate Chips 100g
25 g Unsalted Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Place 50g of the chocolate chips in a medium bowl with the butter and melt in the microwave in 30-second blasts, stirring between each go. Alternatively, melt over a pan of simmering water, shallow enough that the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Sift the cocoa powder over, then add the ground almonds, vanilla extract and salt and stir together. Leave to cool until needed.
- Place the egg and sugar in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, whisk for 3 or 4 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
- Stir the baking powder into the chocolate mixture, then add the egg mixture, folding it through gently and being careful not to knock too much air out of it. Finally, fold in the rest of the chocolate chips.
- Place 8 tablespoonfuls of the mixture on the lined baking sheet, spaced well apart. Make a little well in the centre of each, then place ½ teaspoon of the caramel sauce inside. Spread the chocolate mixture back over to enclose the sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are set but the centres are still a little soft. Leave to cool a little on the tray before serving warm or transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool if preferred.
Tip: Replace the caramel centres with peanut butter, jam or even a fresh raspberry.