Eton mess is traditionally made with crumbled meringues and strawberries mixed with cream. This is ideal as a garden party or after-dinner dessert. If bringing this along on a picnic, pack the meringues and toppings separately and assemble just before eating.
Serves: 6 people
100 g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp SuperValu Cornflour
1 handfull SuperValu Fresh Mint
to decorate (optional)
125 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
300 g SuperValu Organic Low Fat Yoghurt
For the Meringues:
4 large Eggs
For the Topping:
250 g SuperValu Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas mark 1. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Reserve about 75g of the blueberries for serving and place the rest in a small pan. Add 1 teaspoon of water and cook over a low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. As the berries soften and begin to pop, mash them with a fork to help release their juices. Once cooked, pour into a mini blender and blitz until as smooth as possible. Set aside to cool.
- To make the meringues, place the egg whites in a food mixer and whisk on high to give soft peaks. Add the caster sugar and whisk for a few minutes more. Sift in the icing sugar and cornflour, add the lemon juice and whisk again for a few minutes, until firm and glossy.
- Place a few dots of the meringue mixture under the paper on the tray as glue to stick. Spoon six equal amounts of the mixture on the tray, spaced well apart. Dot about 1 teaspoon of the blueberry purée on top of each one and use the tip of the spoon to swirl it in slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until crisp on the outside but not coloured. Turn the oven off, open the door slightly and leave the meringues in the oven until completely cool (about 1 to 2 hours).
- Place a cooled meringue in each serving bowl. Allow each person to crush their own meringue and add dollops of yogurt, blueberry purée and a scattering of the reserved blueberries and mint (if using). Serve straight away.
TIP - Use fresh raspberries or hulled and roughly chopped strawberries instead of blueberries if preferred.