Replace the blue cheese with Parmesan or Gruyere if preferred. Be sure to not over whip the egg whites for lighter soufflé
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
6 pinch Black Pepper
20 g Plain Flour
or SuperValu breadcrumbs
20 g SuperValu Butter
For The Soufflé
90 g Blue Cheese
(ie. Cashel blue or Roquefort)
6 - Fresh Egg
6 x Egg WHites, 4 x Egg yolks
500 ml Milk
50 g Plain Flour
50 g SuperValu Butter
6 pinch SuperValu Salt
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C. Place an oven tray in the oven to preheat.
- Brush the base and side of 4 by 250 ml (approx) ramekins with butter to grease.
- Sprinkle the flour or breadcrumbs in the ramekins and rotate to coat each base and side with breadcrumbs.
- Turn ramekins upside down and gently tap to remove excess crumbs.
- Melt the extra butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and starts to come away from the side of the pan.
- Remove from heat and add half the milk. Whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add the cheese and pepper and stir until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add one-quarter of the egg whites to the cheese mixture and using a metal spoon to fold through until just combined. This will loosen the mixture.
- Add the remaining egg whites and gently fold until just combined.
- Divide the cheese mixture between the 4 ramekins and smooth the tops. Run your finger around the inside rim of each ramekin, about 2cm into the soufflé (this will help the soufflé rise more evenly).
- Place the soufflés on the preheated oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Serve immediately