By Kevin Dundon
Perfect on those cold evenings when something warm and earthy is called for, yet packed full of nutrition.
Preparation time: 10 minutes•
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, leeks and garlic and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until softened.
2. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, add the beetroot, grated apple and reduce to a simmer.
3. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the beetroot is cooked, then remove from the heat. Once the soup has slightly cooled blitz with a hand blender until smooth, then add the horseradish sauce and blitz until smooth.
4. Season with salt and pepper, add a squeeze of lemon juice and return to the pan over a very low heat.
5. Serve the soup in a bowl with a spoonful of crème fraîche.