This is a delicious alternative to serving bacon. I love to serve this with some fluffy mashed potatoes, with rice or even to use it as the filling in crispy vol au vents.
Serves: 2 people
SuperValu Quality Irish Back Bacon Steaks
From the Store Cupboard
(ideally a combination of both)
crushed and chopped
Spring Onion Mashed Potatoes
- Heat a pan with the butter and add the diced bacon pieces and cook them for a couple of minutes until they are lightly coloured.
- Next add in the sliced mushrooms, garlic and diced onion and allow these to sweat gently until cooked. Next add in the plain flour and allow the flour to dry up any of the liquids that are in the pan.
- Now add in the milk/cream and stir well until the sauce thickens. Reduce the heat and allow to continue cooking slowly for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Taste at this stage and season as required.
Spring Onion Mashed Potato
- Peel the potatoes and place in a medium sized saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until tender.
- Strain off the water, return the potatoes to the saucepan and add in 1oz butter and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Cover with a tightly fitting lid and allow the potatoes to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes until well mashed and then add in the chopped spring onions, together with a little salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve immediately with the bacon & mushroom casserole.