This is one of my famous one pot wonder desserts. It is a very simple but effective dessert. If you want to get little individual tartlet dishes and make small tarts you just need to transfer the caramelised fruits to them and press a disc of puff pastry onto the top.
Serves: 8 people
SuperValu Brown Sugar
SuperValu Granny Smith Apples
peeled and cored
peeled and cored
- Select a medium sized oven proof frying pan-preferably about 9 inches/23 cm.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Meanwhile cut the apples and pears into 6 wedges. Squeeze a little lemon juice on the apples & pears to prevent them from darkening.
- In the frying pan, gently melt the butter and then add the sugar and stir continuously until the mixture begins to bubble and all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Add the apples and pears to the pan and cook gently for 8-10 minutes until they begin to soften - just slightly and they take on a nice golden brown caramel. Add in the ground cinnamon at this stage. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile roll out the puff pastry and cut out a disc to fit the top of the frying pan.
- This will not be the same size as the bottom of the frying pan!
- When the apple and pear mixture has cooled slightly fit the disc of puff pastry onto the top of the caramelised fruit mixture. Secure it tightly.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Take a large serving platter, place it on top of the pan and turn it over to reveal a glorious pastry case laden with caramelised apples and pears
- Serve immediately with freshly whipped cream and ice cream.