By The Happy Pear
The Happy Pear's 20-Minute Lentil & Coconut Dahl with Baked Cauliflower is a great midweek meal.
Preparation time: 5 minutes•
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Peel and finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Drain the beans and lentils and rinse thoroughly, keeping them separate.
2. Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and set aside. Cut the cauliflower in half and chop into small bite-sized pieces, working along the lines of the florets so that it still keeps
its structure. You want to ensure it doesn’t disintegrate into cauliflower rice. Remove the thick spines from the leaves using a sharp knife.
3. Put the cauliflower pieces and leaves on a large baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with a generous pinch of salt. Toss to coat, then bake in the oven for 18 minutes. It’s ready when it has crisped up nicely and is looking slightly charred but not burnt. It should have a slight crunch to it but also be soft in the centre.
4. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan on a high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook
for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the spinach and the cauliflower that’s cooking in the oven. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 5 minutes, then take off the heat and stir in the spinach and roasted cauliflower florets.
6. To serve, divide the cooked dahl between three or four bowls. Scatter the baked cauliflower leaves on top of each bowl. Garnish with your fresh herbs and some chilli flakes. Serve with brown rice or wholemeal couscous.
TOP CAULIFLOWER TIP
Make sure to bake the green bits of the cauliflower too as
they crisp up wonderfully and add another variation of texture to this dish!