For a sweeter alternative, why not add some white chocolate.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Bread
200 g Caster Sugar
3 large Fresh Egg
150 ml Hot Water
0 - Irish Whiskey
300 ml Milk
75 g Sultanas
50 g SuperValu Butter
50 ml SuperValu Cream
- Soak the sultanas in hot water and Irish Whiskey for approximately 30 minutes.
- Butter all the slices of bread and cut off the crusts.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Layer the bread up in 4 small oven proof dishes or ramekins or one large dish (12 x 8) and scatter the soaked and drained sultanas in with the remaining 2oz of caster sugar in between each layer of bread.
- You should end up with three (or four) layers of bread altogether.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and add 5oz/150g caster sugar and cinnamon and beat together until combined.
- Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour the boiled milk over the egg mixture and whisk well until combined.
- Slowly pour all of this mixture over the bread and butter and allow it to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Put into the oven and bake for 40 minutes until the mixture is well set.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add in the brown sugar.
- Allow this mixture to come to the boil.
- Be very careful at this stage as the butter and sugar mixture is very hot and could burn should it contact your skin.
- Pour in the cream and whisk continuously.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with the traditional bread and butter pudding.