Poke bowls originate from Hawaii with Japanese influences. When the fishermen were using leftovers from their catch, they used to pickle the fish with chilli and turn them into bowl food along with a
grain and lots of fresh veggies. This version is vegan and is the perfect blank canvas for using whatever you have in the press.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 2 people
Add all ingredients Select All
50 g Frozen Peas
2 cloves Garlic
250 g Quinoa
cooked, or any cooked grain of choice such as brown rice
1 - Red Chilli
deseeded and finely chopped
2 portions Sesame Seeds
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
or tamari sauce
3 - Spring Onions
1 - SuperValu Avocado
1 - SuperValu Carrot
1 portion SuperValu Fresh Ginger
a thumb sized piece, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp SuperValu Oil
1 - SuperValu Pineapple
half of the pineapple only, peeled, cored and cut into small bite-sized pieces
50 g SuperValu Red Cabbage
200 g Tofu
1. Cut the tofu into strips approximately 1cm thick
x 6cm long x 1cm high.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan on a high heat. Add the tofu, spring onions, garlic, chilli and ginger. Immediately move the spring onions, garlic, chilli and ginger to the sides of the pan and leave the tofu in the middle, allowing it to get nice and brown on both sides.
3. Add the tamari or soy sauce and turn the tofu over to ensure the tamari infuses both sides. Once all the tamari has been absorbed or has evaporated, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. Boil the kettle and put the frozen peas in a heatproof bowl. Pour over enough just-boiled water to cover the peas and leave to thaw. Drain, rinse and put back in the bowl you thawed them in, doing your best to remove any excess water.
5. Divide the cooked grain between two large shallow serving bowls.
6. Using a peeler, cut long strips of the carrot and roll into rounds to add a different texture and look to the dish. Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. With the avocado still in its skin, score it into thin slices.
7. Layer each dish so that each topping is in its own section. Using a spoon, carefully scoop the avocado slices out of the skin and divide them between each bowl. Divide the thawed
peas, rolled carrot strips and pineapple pieces between the two bowls. Add a serving of red cabbage sauerkraut, if using.
8. Top with the warm tofu and a sprinkle of sesame seeds to serve.