This interesting and elaborate dessert works really well for a dinner party.
Serves: 6 people
SuperValu Icing Sugar
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy mixture, then sieve in flour.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the vanilla extract, bring to the boil.
- Once boiled, pour the boiling milk over the egg mixture.
- Return to the heat and boil continuously, whisking for approximately 3–5 minutes until thickened.
- Allow to cool.
- When the custard has cooled down fold in the whipped cream.
- Chill in the fridge until needed.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Lightly dust your work surface with some sifted icing sugar.
- Once the block of puff pastry has defrosted cut it in two and roll each half into an even sized rectangle.
- Cut the pastry into 4 strips (30cm x 6cm approximately).
- Prick the pastry strips lightly all over with a fork and transfer it to a flat baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10–15 minutes until the pastry is nice and crisp.
- When the pastry comes out of the oven dust, generously, with icing sugar and using a chef’s blow torch or the grill from the oven caramelise the top of the pastry.
- Store until required.
- Lay a piece of the caramelised pastry on the work surface and pipe with some of the custard filling on top.
- Arrange some sliced strawberries and then another piece of pastry on top.
- Repeat this 2 more times.