Serves: 4 people
Red Wine Vinegar
SuperValu Mackerel Fillets
SuperValu Olive Oil
- Soak the wood chips for the smoker in water before use.
- Place the redcurrants and sugar into a saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the juices are bursting from the fruit. Add the vinegar then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas barbecue and if using charcoal when the coal has a coating of white ashes, push the ashes on one side of the barbecue. Then place the woodchips into a tin foil container .
- Cut a piece of aluminium foil and fold to fit into the foil container on top of the woodchips, then use a sharp knife to pierce the aluminium foil 6 – 8 times, to allow the smoke to permeate through to the fish.
- Brush the pierced foil with some olive oil then add the mackerel, season with rock sea salt and pepper.
- Start the smoking process by placing the foil container on the direct heat on the barbecue for 4 – 5 minutes until the woodchips begin to smoke, then move on to the indirect heat (i.e the cooler side of the barbecue) and allow to smoke for approximately 10 minutes.
- To Serve: Remove the fish from the foil and place 2 fillets overlapping per plate, serve with redcurrant sauce.