For added flavour whisk in some sweet chilli jam/sauce into the eggs when preparing the filling
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 cloves Garlic
225 g Plain Flour
1 - Red Onion
1 - Red Pepper
0 - Shortcrust Pastry
110 g SuperValu Butter
cold & cut into cubes
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
peel off woody stem
0 - SuperValu Salt
From the Store Cupboard
50 g Cheddar Cheese
2 - Fresh Egg
150 ml Milk
1 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
- Sieve the plain flour into a large mixing bowl, add in the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Slowly mix in the water and stir until the pastry comes together into a ball (you may or may not need all the water so add it gradually).
- Allow the pastry to rest and then allow to rest in the fridge.
- After about 30 minutes roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use it to line 4 x five-inch fluted flan rings. I normally return the flan rings to the fridge at this stage to prevent shrinkage later.
- Meanwhile cut up the pepper, courgette and red onion into bite size chunks, scatter with the diced garlic and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk with the thyme leaves and the grated cheese.
- Divide the roasted vegetables between the bottoms of the pastry lined flan dishes and then divide the egg and cheese mixture on top.
- Place the fluted flan rings onto a flat baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the egg custard is set and the pastry has turned golden brown.
- Mix together the lettuce, grated courgette and tomatoes with the olive oil.
- Serve the tartlets immediately with a little salad.