This recipe is so versatile, use any of your favourite fruits like apple, peaches, plums or apricots for this fruity treat.
Serves: 4 people
peeled, core removed
- Grease a 23cm deep cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Melt 50g of butter in a small pan and add the muscovado sugar, allow to dissolve for a 2 to 3 minutes until starting to combine.
- Remove from the heat and pour onto the base of the tin. Now, lay the pineapple slices in the caramel. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. In a large bowl, place the caster sugar and eggs. Whisk until the mixture is pale and holds the figure of eight.
- Sieve the flour, and baking powder over the egg mixture, and gently fold until all the flour is combined.
- Pour in the milk, the melted butter and the vanilla extract and combine thoroughly. Pour the cake batter over the caramel and pineapple.
- Bake in the oven for 1 to 1¼ hours until the cake is firm to the touch and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes, then carefully remove from the tin, peel off the lining paper and serve warm or cold with a dollop of cream.