By Sharon Hearne Smith
Sharon's Parsnip and Orange Tray Bake Cake with Walnut Frosting is a sweet way to reach your seven-a-day!
Preparation time: 15 minutes•
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 8 people
1. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir everything together until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin and level the top.
2. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
3. Meanwhile, make the frosting. Reserve nine walnut halves or pieces for decorating. Place the remainder in a food processor or high-speed blender with the butter, maple syrup or honey and vanilla extract and blitz until as smooth as possible.
4. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
5. When ready to serve, turn the cooled cake out onto a serving board or plate. Spread the frosting evenly all over the top.
6. Cut the tray bake into nine even-sized squares and stick
a reserved walnut piece in the centre of each one. Sprinkle
over the grated zest from the remaining orange and serve.
Swap the parsnip for carrot or butternut squash instead if preferred.