We are using a simple cheat for the chocolate custard which is the use of SuperValu ready to use custard. A simple trick that makes this recipe much easier to prepare! Be aware of this pie if on a calorie count!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tbsp Caramel Sauce
3 - Chocolate Bars
melted and curled, optional
2 tsp Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup 680g
150 ml Whipping Cream
For the Base
200 g Ready-to-roll Shortcrust Pastry
For the Brownie
140 g Demerara Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Instant Coffee
140 g SuperValu Butter
chopped into pieces
140 g SuperValu Dark Chocolate
2 large SuperValu Eggs
60 g SuperValu Self-Raising Flour
- Preheat oven to 150˚C. Grease a 3cm-deep, 24cm round (base) fluted, loose-based flan tin.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry and line the tin. Gently press the edges to fit well. Place in the fridge to set for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, line the tart with parchment paper or oven safe cling film and add the blind baking beans to the tart. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and remove the blind baking beans. Let the blind baked tart cool aside until required.
- Next prepare the brownie. Increase the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter and coffee powder together in a bowl set over simmering water.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Fold in the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Sieve in the self-raising flour and gently fold it into the chocolate and egg mixture. Do not over mix as the air will be knocked out of the mixture.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared cake tin and cook for 15 - 18 minutes or until the cake is set but still jiggles slightly; it may not appear to be completely cooked. Allow to cool completely. Cake will deflate in centre and look sunken as it cools.
- Next, prepare the chocolate custard, place the gelatine in a large bowl of cold water to bloom for 5 minutes.
- Over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and custard together stirring constantly until smooth. Drain the gelatine and combine in the warmed chocolate custard. Once the gelatine is fully combined, pour over the cooled brownie to cover. Set in the fridge to cool for two hours.
- Decorate with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and some chocolate curls if desired, and serve within two days.