Green colouring can be omitted in this recipe!
This cake is one of the easiest recipes for key lime I ever came across during my travels in Florida.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
0.5 tsp Green Food Colouring
1 tbsp Lime
zest only, finely grated
110 ml Lime Juice
250 g Shortcrust Pastry
4 - SuperValu Eggs
2 - SuperValu Eggs
1 tin Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 - Whipping Cream
1 - Lime
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a 3cm-deep, 24cm round (base) fluted, loose-based flan tin. On a floured surface, roll the pastry and line the tin. Gently press the edges to fit well. Place in the fridge to set for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, line the tart with parchment paper or oven safe cling film and add the blind baking beans to the tart. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and remove the blind baking beans. Let the blind baked tart cool aside until required.
- Reduce oven to 140°C. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale and thick. Gradually beat in the condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice and green colouring.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the blind baked tart shell. Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until the filling has just set (filling will be slightly wobbly in the centre).
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, place in the fridge for two hours to firm up the pie.
- Decorate the pie with sliced lime and serve with whipped cream.