This is an ideal celebration cake. Decorate with your favourite sweets or white chocolate.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tsp Baking Powder
225 g Caster Sugar
150 g Dark Chocolate
4 large Fresh Egg
225 g Plain Flour
225 g SuperValu Butter
200 g Dark Chocolate
- Grease two 9 inch sandwich tins. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and mix completely.
- Sieve the plain flour with the baking powder, add to the mixing bowl and mix until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate either in the microwave or over a saucepan of boiling water and add to the sponge mixture.
- Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When baked transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Add the sifted icing sugar and the cocoa powder to the softened butter and beat using an electric whisk.
- Cut each cake in half to create 4 layers.
- On the bottom layer of the cake spread the marmalade, ensuring the entire base is covered.
- Put the next layer on top.
- Spread one third of the icing mixture on this layer and the same for the next layer.
- Put the top layer on and either pipe or spoon the remaining butter icing on top.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the icing.
- Make chocolate shards by melting 7oz/200g chocolate and spreading in a thin layer between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for approx 30 minutes, crack and decorate!