This is a great opportunity to use up the remains of your Christmas ham. Otherwise, ask for a thick slice of ham from your delicatessen and chop it into chunky pieces.
Serves: 9 people
For The Filling:
SuperValu Cooked Ham
or half milk and half cream
For The Pastry:
yolk, mixed with 2-3 tbsp water
with cherry tomatoes
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg yolk with the water, then add to the bowl and mix together to bind the pastry. Shape into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Line a 23cm quiche tin with the pastry and bake blind according to the instructions in the Kitchen School panel on page 43. Whisk the eggs and brush a little on the pastry base after removing the paper and baking beans, then return the pastry to the oven for 5 minutes to set. This seals the base and stops the egg mixture making the base soggy.
- Put the pastry base on a baking tray and scatter in the ham and 100g of the grated Cheddar. Add the cream to the whisked eggs, season and pour over the ham and cheese. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until set through to the middle. Lower the temperature to 160°C/gas mark 3 if it’s browning too quickly. Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before serving with a green salad with cherry tomatoes on the side.