This dish is a great dinner. If you want a freezer-friendly version, just leave out the egg topping but cook everything else as normal. It’s also great re-heated so it’s worth doubling the quantity and having dinner for a couple of days.
Serves: 3 people
0 - Black Pepper
60 g Cheddar Cheese
400 g Chopped Tomatoes
3 - Eggs
5 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 - Onions
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
0 - Salt
2 - SuperValu Aubergine
sliced lengthways into thin strips
1 handfull SuperValu Fresh Basil
2 tbsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with olive oil and season well. Divide the aubergine slices between two baking trays and bake for 12 minutes, turn once during cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato purée.
- Remove the aubergine slices from the oven and increase the heat to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Layer half of the aubergine slices in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the basil to the tomato sauce and stir well. Pour the sauce over the aubergines in the dish.
- Add the remaining aubergine slices in an even layer. Pour the egg on top and finish with the Cheddar and Parmesan. Bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Divide the bake into warmed serving bowls.