For a more child-friendly option, omit the rum from the sauce.
Serves: 4 people
4 - Banana
peeled and cut into 2cm rings
1 tbsp Captain Morgan Rum
1 - Puff Pastry
75 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
75 g SuperValu Butter
0 - SuperValu Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Select a medium sized oven proof frying pan - preferably about 9 inches/23 cm.
- In the frying pan, gently melt the butter and then add the sugar and stir continuously until the mixture begins to bubble and all the sugar dissolves then add the rum to the pan to deglaze.
- Meanwhile peel and cut the banana in 2 cm sections, then gently place the banana pieces upright in the pan, ensuring the whole base of the pan is covered with banana.
- Drizzle with a little lemon juice.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut out a disc to fit the top of the frying pan - this will not be the same size as the bottom of the frying pan!
- When the banana mixture has cooled slightly, fit the disc of puff pastry onto the top of the caramelised fruit mixture.
- Secure it tightly.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 5-10 minutes.
- Take a large serving platter, place it on top of the pan and turn it over to reveal a glorious pastry case laden with caramelised banana.
- Serve immediately with freshly whipped cream and ice cream.