The caramel from the brown sugar gives this a fantastic flavour.
Serves: 8 people
Light Muscovado Sugar
SuperValu Pink Lady Apples
quartered and pitted
- Heat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Butter a 9 inch deep cake tin (preferably not loose-based) and line the base with baking parchment.
- Mix the milk and vanilla together.
- Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl and whisk with a hand electric mixer until the mixture is thick, pale and increased in volume, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Test it is ready by lifting the whisk blades – if the mixture briefly leaves a trail, you are ready to proceed.
- Add one–third of the flour and whisk slowly to incorporate, then one–third of the milk and mix again.
- Repeat twice more until all the flour and milk is added.
- Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the muscovado sugar, allow to dissolve for a couple of minutes and pour onto the base of the tin.
- Next place the apples cut side down in the caramel.
- Pour the sponge mixture over the top and slide into the oven.
- Bake for 1–1¼ hrs until the cake is firm to touch and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes, then carefully remove from the tin, peel off the lining paper.
- Serve warm or cold.