Dairy is one of the most important food groups - and one that many people miss out on! Milk, cheese and yoghurt are all good sources of calcium and calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth.
Did you know that dairy has much more to offer than just calcium? Milk, cheese and yoghurt are all high in protein, packed with B vitamins and a great source of iodine? Check out some of the dairy facts and benefits below and find out how adding dairy to your diet can help you to look and feel great!
Calcium: bones & beyond
We all know that we need lots of calcium for healthy bones but did you know how much? The recommended daily amount of calcium is 800mg per day. You need to eat 3 servings of milk, hard cheese and/or yoghurt everyday to make sure you are getting all of the calcium you need.
Calcium is essential for healthy teeth – and this is true for adults as well as children! Many of us drink lots of milk as children but as we get older we tend to drink more tea & coffee and water. Milk is still needed to keep teeth (and bones) healthy. If you don’t drink milk you can get your calcium from yoghurts and hard cheeses like cheddar.
- Did you know that calcium helps you muscles to work properly? You need calcium to help your muscles to bend and stretch.
- Did you know that one glass of milk has almost 9 times the calcium of a glass of soya milk?
- Did you know that you would need to eat 5 servings of broccoli to get the same amount of calcium as 1 glass of milk?
Dairy, B vitamins and you
Milk, cheese and yoghurt are all great sources of B vitamins including B12 and Riboflavin (B2).
- B12 and riboflavin are both needed to help you make healthy blood and keep you feeling energetic.
- Feeling run down? The B12 and Riboflavin found in milk can help to reduce feelings of tiredness and fatigue.
- Glow with health! Ribolfavin is essential for healthy, glowing skin.
Dairy and Minerals – Iodine
Milk is one of the few foods that are a good source of iodine. This special mineral is an essential part of the thyroid and helps to keep your metabolism running at its best.
- Did you know that children need lots of iodine for healthy growth and development?
- Iodine is also an essential part of the brain and needed to help your brain work at its best.
Protein, Healthy Muscles and Strength
- Did you know that milk, cheese and yoghurt are all high in protein?
- Protein is needed for healthy muscles but did you know that protein is also essential for healthy bones?
- Trying to tone? Protein is needed to help build healthy muscle strength and size, so if you are working out, milk is a great drink to help top up your protein afterwards!