What a fabulous pie... you'll love this recipe!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
500 ml Beef Stock
1 - Fresh Egg
250 g Mushrooms
1 tbsp Plain Flour
1 pack Puff Pastry
150 ml Red Wine
1 kg SuperValu Beef
, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
1 tsp SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
1 tbsp SuperValu Dried Thyme
2 cloves SuperValu Garlic
1 - SuperValu Onion
4 - SuperValu Tomato
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Add one third of the beef and cook, turning occasionally for 3 – 4 minutes or until well browned.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft and lightly caramelised.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further minute or two, then sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further minute.
- Gradually stir in the stock and red wine and use a wooden spoon to release any remnants from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and thyme, and reduce the heat. Simmer covered for 1hr 30 mins until the beef is very tender and the sauce is thick.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a round, 23cm ovenproof dish.
- Set aside for 20 minutes to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut a 2cm strip off the edge of three sides.
- Place the strips around the edge of the dish slightly overlapping.
- Cover the filling with rolled pastry and use your fingertips to seal the edges.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and pace in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.