Pastry is nice to have ready in the freezer if you make your own but also don’t rule out the possibility of buying the pastry. Quiche is really versatile so you can experiment with different fillings.
Serves: 8 people
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Firstly to make the pastry, sieve the plain flour into a large mixing bowl and add in the salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in enough cold water to just bind the pastry together.
- Remove the pastry from the bowl and cover with cling film to rest until required.
- Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 9inch/23cm quiche dish.
- Blind bake the tart shell for 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned.
- A good tip is to egg wash the pastry after the initial baking and return to the oven for a further minute or two to seal the pastry – this avoids soggy pastry after you add the filling!
- To prepare the filling, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan and add the chopped bacon, cook for a minute or two then add the spring onions and mushrooms.
- Cook for a further 4-5 minutes or until they are just softened.
- Spread the bacon, mushroom and onion filling over the pastry case and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Mix the eggs, cream and milk together and pour generously over the top of the flan, add some seasoning and place in a preheated oven, bake for 30-35 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with salad, also makes a perfect lunchbox filler.