This is a really great and tasty midweek meal which can be prepared with little or no fuss. The beauty of the dish is to cook two and then freeze one for a later date.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 2 people
Add all ingredients Select All
550 g SuperValu Quality Irish Round Steak Mince
From the Store Cupboard
150 ml Beef Stock
75 g Cheddar Cheese
75 g SuperValu Butter
200 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
SuperValu Mediterranean Roast Vegetable Pack
1 - Red Onion
1 - Red Pepper
0 - SuperValu Chopped Tomatoes
1 - SuperValu Courgette
3 cloves SuperValu Garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 - SuperValu Fresh Thyme
woody stems removed (from the Mediterranean Pack)
- Heat a large frying pan with the oil and add the red pepper, onion, courgette and garlic and sweat gently over a medium heat until they are softened.
- After the vegetables have softened (approximately 3-4 minutes) add the minced beef and allow this to brown a little on the pan.
- Then add in the tinned tomatoes and the beef stock along with the Worcestershire sauce (if using). Allow this to come to the boil, then simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 2 bowls (or 4 if you prefer individual dishes) and then top with the topping.
- Mix together the grated cheese, breadcrumbs, thyme leaves and melted butter and sprinkle on top of the bowls.
Cooking & storage instructions
- Wrap one of the gratins up in cling film, label and date and pop it in the freezer.
- Allow to thoroughly defrost before cooking at a later date.
- To cook the remaining gratin preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Place the beef gratin onto a flat baking tray and pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes until it is bubbling hot.