Here is a version of my gluten free chicken nuggets. They can be frozen and kept in a freezer bag for a few weeks, just defrost overnight in the refrigerator before use!
Serves: 4 people
fresh or frozen
Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
or Rice Flour*
Maris Piper Potatoes
or Golden Wonder Potatoes
SuperValu Fresh Chicken Fillets
skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
SuperValu Sunflower Oil
SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- Place the chicken pieces into a bowl, and sprinkle with flour salt and pepper. toss to coat the chicken pieces.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs and beat them out.
- In a third bowl, mix the polenta and paprika together.
- Dip the chicken into the beaten egg, and transfer to the polenta.
- Coat the chicken pieces and place them on the baking tray, lined with baking parchment.
- Cover with cling film and store in the refrigerator until needed.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and a deep fat fryer to 180°C with clean oil to avoid gluten cross contamination.
- Chop the potato about 2 -3 millimetres square thick and about 6 cm long.
- Keep in a bowl of water until needed.
- Bring to the boil a large pot of salted water.
- Blanch the peas in boiling water for 2 minutes (3-4 minutes if frozen), strain the peas and place back into the saucepan.
- Add the butter and keep aside for a few minutes until the nuggets and fries are ready.
- In the meantime, remove the chicken nuggets from the fridge and drizzle with the sunflower oil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the chicken pieces and bake for a further 5 – 6 minutes.
- Deep fry the skinny fries in the preheated oil for 4 -5 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the oil, and drain into kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with chicken nuggets and buttered peas!
- *Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.