Fancy something a little different for breakfast?
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 slices Bread
4 large Fresh Egg
2 - Fresh Egg
200 g SuperValu Asparagus
150 g SuperValu Butter
0 - SuperValu Lemon
(juice of 1/2 the lemon)
4 slices SuperValu Quality Irish Ham Fillet
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- To prepare the hollandaise sauce, place the egg yolks and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk with a hand blender until well combined. Slowly pour in the melted butter while continuously blending to incorporate the butter thoroughly. When all the butter has been added, add some salt and pepper to season.
- Lightly toast the bread slices, then set them aside somewhere where you can keep them warm.
- Half-fill a large, deep saucepan with some salted water for the asparagus, then half fill a second pan with some salted water and a splash of vinegar to poach the eggs.
- Place the asparagus in the salted water and blanch for 3-5 minutes until just tender but still bright green. Remove from the water and toss lightly in fresh butter.
- In the second pan, allow the water to come to a gentle simmer and poach the eggs until cooked to your liking – e.g. 3 minutes for a soft poached egg. Don’t allow the water to boil vigourously, as your eggs will break up if it does.
- When the eggs are cooked, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on some kitchen paper.
- Serve the warm toast with some ham, a layer of the cooked asparagus, and the poached eggs gently added on top. Top with a generous serving of hollandaise sauce.
Tip: Try to serve this dish within 5 minutes to keep the lovely green colour of the asparagus.