Better storage and portioning can help us combat food waste and there are many tools that can be used to assist you. We recommend having things like weighing scales, measuring jugs and spoons, bag clips, freezer bags, sealable containers and pens in a drawer ready for action.
Keep it Clean!
- Remember that sandwiches with meat or other foods that require refrigeration should be kept as cold as possible until lunch. Help keep lunches cool and safe by following these tips:
- An insulated box or bag can be used to help keep lunches cool. A small ice pack can also be used or alternatively include a frozen fruit juice carton.
- It is important that lunches are not kept in a warm place such as near radiators or in direct sunlight.
- Discard any perishable food that hasn't been eaten at the end of the day.
- Wash and dry reusable water bottles, lids and lunchboxes every day in warm soapy water.
- Always remember to wash your hands before eating lunch.