This take on the classic Spanish gaspacho chilled tomato soup skips the traditional breadcrumbs, so it's gluten free.
Serves: 6 people
1 tsp Caster Sugar
1 drop Olive Oil
1 pinch Sea Salt
3 large SuperValu Ripe Vine Tomatoes
1.5 kg Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 140oC/gas mark 1.
- Cut the vine tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the tomato halves with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 30 minutes, then leave to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Place in a blender with the chilli flakes and a pinch of salt. Blend with enough olive oil to form a thick purée. Place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the garden tomatoes in a large heatproof bowl and pour enough boiling water over them to cover them. After a minute, drain them, rinse in cold water and peel off their skins.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and transfer the flesh in batches to a sieve, pushing the flesh through the sieve into a bowl with the back of a spoon. Scrape the underside of the sieve to ensure all the tomato pulp goes into the bowl. Add a teaspoon of sugar to the tomatoes and a good pinch of salt. Keep at room temperature.
- To serve, pour the soup into small bowls. Add half a roasted tomato to each bowl, then drizzle with the puréed avocado salsa.