Char sui is a rich Chinese barbecue sauce that is popular in Cantonese cooking.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
200 g SuperValu Basmati Rice
4 small SuperValu Bread Rolls
or one large crusty cob loaf, hallowed out
8 - SuperValu Fresh Irish Free Range Chicken Thighs
For the Chair Sui Sauce
2 tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
For the Char Sui Sauce
1 pinch Black Pepper
80 ml Black Treacle
6 cloves Garlic
200 ml Hoisin Sauce
1 tsp Red Food Colouring
1 pinch Salt
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
3 tbsp White Wine
- Preheat the barbecue to a medium heat.
- Combine the char sui sauce ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the chicken. Marinate the chicken thighs for 30 minutes.
- Place the chicken on the barbecue and cook over an indirect heat for 20 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- When the chicken thighs are cooked through, place them on a direct heat and coat with extra marinade until they are sticky.
- Serve with rice in the hallowed-out bread as a serving bowl in the middle of the table or as individual portions in small cobs.