This classic Italian dessert literally means “pick me up”. Coffee-soaked boudoir biscuits smothered with creamy mascarpone and dusted with cocoa, it’s a family favorite recipe.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
3 tbsp Amaretto Liqueur
100 g Caster Sugar
0 - Cocoa Powder
(unsweetened, to dust)
150 g Coffee
2 - Fresh Egg
3 tbsp Marsala Wine
250 g Mascarpone Cheese
30 - Sponge Ladyfinger Biscuits
250 ml SuperValu Cream
- Place the cold coffee in a bowl, add two tablespoons of the Amaretto and the Marsala wine and put to one side.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar for about three minutes until thick and pale.
- Add the mascarpone and beat until well combined. Fold in the whipped cream gently with a metal spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites quickly but gently into the cream mixture. Add the remaining 1 tbsp Amaretto liqueur, taking care not to over stir and lose the volume that the egg whites have created.
- Dip each biscuit into the coffee mixture for about two seconds on each side and shake off any excess.
- Place a layer of the dipped biscuits into the bottom of four individual 8cm/3-inch dessert glasses. Spread some of the cream mixture over the biscuits and then repeat the process again, using up the biscuits and finishing with a cream layer.
- Smooth the surface and dust the top with the cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate for about two hours or until firm. The longer it’s left, the more the flavours will develop.