FOR THE MUSHROOM AND LENTIL MIX
- Place the dried lentils into a pot on a high heat and top with water. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Leave for 30 minutes or as per packet instructions. Drain the cooked lentils and set aside.
- Place the dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with hot water. Drain once rehydrated
- Add the red onion, garlic, carrots, shallots and brandy to a large heated and oiled pan and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, rehydrated porcini mushrooms, vegetable stock, bay leaves and thyme. Cover and leave for 15 minutes until the mushrooms have steamed through and begin to reduce. Add the cooked lentils, Bisto granules, ketchup, tomato paste and wine and bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave the pot on a low heat for at least 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Ideally cook this the night before for maximum flavour.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
FOR THE SWEET POTATO MASH
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place the sweet potatoes onto a large tray and top with the fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic cloves. Season with salt, pepper, maple syrup and olive oil. Place the tray into the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until tender. Once tender, remove the tray from the oven and discard the larger rosemary and thyme sprigs
- Place the sweet potato and roasted garlic cloves into a food processor and add in the vegan mayonnaise, butter, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blitz to a smooth consistency and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and bay leaves from the mushroom mix and spoon the mix into a large ovenproof dish. Top with the sweet potato mash.
- Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with a side of green beans or vegetables and dress the pie with chilli flakes and fresh parsley.