The business was established in September 1956 by Louis Herterich and his wife Teresa at Ballymahon Street, Longford Town, Co. Longford. The Herterich family are originally from Bavaria in southern Germany and came to Ireland in 1907.
The Ballymahon St. premises was the location of Louis’s manufacturing facility butchery and family home, a true Artisan food producer. Louis produced the finest pork sausages, pastries, and cured and cooked meats in the Midlands. An Expanding pool of regular customers would appreciate traditional recipes and customer service which allowed the business to expand and see growth over the following decades.
The premises underwent a major expansion of shop floor and manufacturing space in 1982 with the first floor former living areas being transformed into offices, stores and a test kitchen. The business became the provider of choice for many hotels, restaurants and shops in the midlands area.
To meet increasing customer demand and rapidly growing customer base t underwent a further expansion in 1999, the entire premises was knocked with the exception of the front façade which was retained and the original stone work cleaned to remain true to the traditional roots and values. At this point a factory was opened at Townspark Industrial Estate in Longford providing the necessary production facilities to meet EEC food regulation and to provide the capacity to expand the business along the lines of retail and wholesale and foodservice.
The business continues to expand its catering, cooked and ready meals offering, acquired a catering trailer “Herterich Artisan Food on the Road” to deliver hand cooked and homemade food to revellers of various events, and a BBQ trailer to service the corporate and high end event catering. These new bolt on services allow the company to build its brand and bring the taste of our products to a wider audience.
In January 2013 the business structure was changed from a sole trader “Louis G Herterich” to Ltd. Company under the Companies Act 1963 to “Herterich Artisan Butchers Ltd.”
ion plant is finished.