This is a very tasty way of cooking and serving chicken!
Serves: 4 people
SuperValu Fresh Irish Chicken
cut into chunks
Supervalu Smoked Bacon Lardons
From your Store Cupboard
Chicken Stock Cube
SuperValu Dried Thyme
SuperValu Irish Creamery Butter
SuperValu Olive Oil
SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- Heat a large sauté pan with a little oil and brown the chicken off all over.
- This may seem a little awkward to do but just use a kitchen tongs to assist you turning the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a large casserole dish or roasting tray.
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots into uniform pieces.
- In the sauté pan add the smoked bacon lardons and allow to cook for 1 – 2 minutes, then add the chopped carrots and onion.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until they are nicely glazed.
- Add in the thyme and the chicken stock at this stage, season lightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Once the mixture comes to the boil, pour it over the whole chicken and cover tightly in tin foil.
- Pop the casserole dish into the pre heated oven for approximately 1 hour and then remove the tin foil and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Place in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes until softened, strain off any excess water.
- Add in the butter and season lightly, then mash using a potato masher.
- Serve the chicken sliced with the roasted vegetables, some mashed potatoes and a little of the cooking juices.